Ms. Courtney Lyles
I am a proud "army brat," and I have had the privilege of living in majority of the eastern and southern United States. I graduated from high school in Fayetteville, NC and moved to Atlanta, Ga to begin my undergraduate career at Spelman College. In 2015, I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in History. Furthering your education and becoming your best possible self is not just something I tell my students but this is also what I practice in my own life. In November 2020, I completed my Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction through Grand Canyon University.
My alma mater, Spelman College, instills in her students to make a "choice to change the world." For me, teaching is the most effective and enjoyable way to change the world. My goal is to guide the students of McCormick High School to become empowered, literate, engaged, creative, liberated human beings who want to join in this effort to change the world.
I am currently in my 4th year of teaching social studies at McCormick High School! I am also the advisor for the Student Government Association, and I am looking forward to the 2021-2022 school year - GO BIG RED!
Class Expectations for All Classes
1. Prompt - Arrive to class on time and immediately go to seat & begin bell work.
2. Prepared - Bring all materials, necessary work, and proper uniform everyday.
3. Productive - Maximize learning time by staying on task and following directions.
4. Polite - Be nice or neutral to everyone. Swearing, teasing, talking back, and bullying will NOT be tolerated! Respect yourself, your classmates, your teacher, and your classroom.
5. Positive - Have a positive attitude in class. Work together. Avoid negative statements and feelings.
Cell Phone/Headphone Policy
NEITHER CELL PHONES OR HEADPHONES ARE PERMITTED IN HALLWAYS OR CLASSROOMS. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT USING A CELL PHONE, IT WILL BE CONFISCATED AND GIVEN TO COACH SALLIEWHITE.
You may only go to the bathroom during the 20/20 window, meaning 20 minutes after class begins or 20 minutes before class ends.
Make sure you sign out on the class log and take a hall pass.
Food & Drink Policy
No food is to be taken into the classrooms. Only water is permitted in the classrooms.