Hello and welcome to AVID. This is my third year at McCormick High School teaching AVID of which I am very excited. AVID stands for Advancement via Individual determination. A strong AVID system transforms the Instruction, Systems, Leadership, and Culture of a school, ensuring college readiness for all AVID Elective students and improved academic performance for all students based on increased opportunities.
The goals of AVID are the following:
- Develop a growth mindset in students
- Construct a support system for students
- Create a welcoming, comforting, and energetic classroom environment - we become a school family
- Engage students in creating and monitoring the expectations and norms for the classroom
- Teach students to identify the strategies and skills that successful learners inherently employ
- Create and self-monitor goals to take ownership of their own learning and future
- Create a college-going culture within the classroom and school
- Prepare students for college and to be productive citizens of society.
I love the family atmosphere that is created through AVID as the students discover themselves as they prepare to have the skills, resources, and desire to be college ready.
I look forward to having your child in my class and look forward to watching them grow!
This is my 19th year in education and I have worked as a teacher, instructional technology specialist, and administrator and now Director of AVID. I moved to McCormick in 2017 after my son graduated from high school. I enjoy my time on the lake and at the beach. I have been married for almost 36 years and have one son who graduated from Wofford and played fooltball for the Terriers and is now working on his MBA at August University while playing baseball for the Augusta Jaguars. My husband Kevin, is the National Service Manager for Ez-Go. We love family time, traveling and sports having to do with water. Our favorite family hobby is scuba diving.
Looking forward to a great year.
Mrs. LouAnne Grove, Ed.S.